Classic Scramble: The East Ridge of Mullach Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Dan Bailey goes off the beaten track on Fisherfield's unfashionable side, to enjoy a crowd-free scrambling circuit with some intriguing features.

Read more

TradSimon 19 Jun 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

Thanks Dan, I really enjoyed reading about this way into Fisherfield, but I still can't believe that you don't really use a bike regularly for access! Those slabs look amazing!

For most routes, where there is a track but with my old legs, I probably get to the end of the track or bike drop a bit quicker than walking, but then it is usually a speedy return downhill, and saves knees. MCMF is a bit different in that it is a mostly flat undulating track at loch level, so time is equal in and out. We did the Corbett Creag Rainich cycling into the bothy at Easter as a short day. Thanks for the ideas, but definitely get on yer bike!

Michael Gordon 19 Jun 2024

Some nice photos, Dan. It's anything but a classic, being, as you say, remote and ill frequented. Like a good number of nice wee ridges, it really has to be enjoyed as only a small part of a long day rather than sought out as the main objective in its own right.

Nice day out. I cycled in the same way recently and walked up the slabs. Although I could see bike tracks all the way to Loch an Nid I’d agree that the bothy, or just beyond it, seemed a sensible place to ditch the bike for the occasional cyclist. I really enjoyed the slabs

airborne 20 Jun 2024

Dan, you've got to get a better bike than that.

C

In reply to airborne:

Haha... I like that bike actually! Which probably says a lot about my older one.

You're right of course, it's kind of fun making do with a rust bucket but I suspect only until they fall apart miles from home. Not the most comfy thing to ride either.

Could do with something better, maybe even one that fits. But I've been shocked at the prices. Now bogged down in indecision. Genuinely don't have a clue even what sort of bike is best for me, let alone all the variables.

Rory Shaw 20 Jun 2024
In reply to Thugitty Jugitty:

Are the slabs doable on a bike?

Mike-W-99 20 Jun 2024
In reply to Rory Shaw:

There’s a few videos on YouTube. Search for Sgurr Bhan slabs bike

ScraggyGoat 20 Jun 2024
In reply to Rory Shaw:

Probably Yes, if very skilled, they are lower angle than the Dubhs, and like the Dubhs steeper at the bottom than the top, but are quartzite so would need to be completely dry. However we could do without another corner of the Highlands becoming a insta venue. So if you do; keep stchum.  

Which is why I’m conflicted about the route card, as we have seen with many places promotion can change the Experience.

Rory Shaw 20 Jun 2024

Insta is a curse

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...