ME Tupilak 45+ or Deuter Guide 44 + 8?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Gordonbp 24 Jul 2024

looking for a new rucksack. Which of the above 2 would people recommend?

galpinos 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

I have the Tupilak 37+ and I use it for everything pretty much. I have no experience of the Deuter.

Pros:

• Super Light
  • Really comfy
  • Back panel is really good*, despite being v. thin (I don't feel cams etc poking me in the back)
  • Fabric is surprisingly tough and very weatherproof
  • 37+ is a great size for me

Cons:

• No lid pocket. The floating pocket in lieu of the lid is forever in the way. You can either leave it "down the back" in which case you can't get anything in it of "lie it on top" in which case we have to lift it up to get stuff out.
  • Internal dry bag closure - I get it, but I don't use it and it either falls into not necessary or annoying. I have pushed it down into the sac and it doesn't get in the way as I think I will use it in the future but even in Scottish winter, where I could use it to separate "dry kit" from a damp belay jacket eyc, it just seems to faffy.
  • Side compression strap buckles a re a bit faffy.
  • Rope carry is a bit meh, but I mostly put the rope inside the pack.

It is the comfiest sac I have ever had and is far superior to the Osprey Mutant that preceded it. I also use an OG Ascensionist 25 sometimes when I am trying to limit the amount of gear I take but I would reach for the Tupilak for everything, from a family walk to a Scottish winter day.

* I managed to get a Tupilak back panel that I have put in my Ascensionist and it is carries 10x better. The Tupilak panel is thinner, but stiffer, so the pack holds it's shape better and protects from sharp pointy bits of gear!

Dave Garnett 24 Jul 2024
In reply to galpinos:

> I have the Tupilak 37+ and I use it for everything pretty much. I have no experience of the Deuter.

> Pros:

> Super Light

> Really comfy

> Back panel is really good*, despite being v. thin (I don't feel cams etc poking me in the back)

> Fabric is surprisingly tough and very weatherproof

> 37+ is a great size for me

> Cons:

> No lid pocket. The floating pocket in lieu of the lid is forever in the way. You can either leave it "down the back" in which case you can't get anything in it of "lie it on top" in which case we have to lift it up to get stuff out.

> Internal dry bag closure - I get it, but I don't use it and it either falls into not necessary or annoying. I have pushed it down into the sac and it doesn't get in the way as I think I will use it in the future but even in Scottish winter, where I could use it to separate "dry kit" from a damp belay jacket eyc, it just seems to faffy.

> Side compression strap buckles a re a bit faffy.

> Rope carry is a bit meh, but I mostly put the rope inside the pack.

I have the same sac and completely agree with all your points.  Actually, carrying a rope under the lid is pretty much impossible due to lack of a suitable strap and the slipperiness of the material.  I don’t love the supposedly one-handed main buckle either.

Otherwise really good, and ME’s repair service is excellent (crampon abuse that was above and beyond - and still fixed for free by ME).

D.botts87 24 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

Ive had the older deuter guide for a good 10 years now.

Bombproof durability. Works for winter, trad or alpine, overnight expeds. You can probably go lighter and the Tupilak may be lighter.

It doesnt have the cons to the the ME but similarly doesnt have the same pros. 

Ive tried other daysacks, but always went back to this.

HomerTheFat 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

I sold the Deuter as it felt too wide for my back (I am a 36 chest so fairly narrow) and got the Tupilak and love it

Lrunner 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

I've had a deuter 35 for 15 years used it for 100s of days winter climbing, cragging, working etc. I used to regularly do 3 day work expeds with it and it was just about big enough. I still use it daily for my commute and it's bomber. When it does die i'll buy another. 

I've never felt the need for a 45 because the "plus" gives you about 10 litres extra.

If you are looking for something that will last you can't go far wrong.

Post edited at 21:52
 TechnoJim 27 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

I have the Tupilak 45. Liked it so much I bought the 30 litre version second hand from another UKC user. Some of the features can be a bit marmite but it's so ludicrously comfortable and tough as a climbing pack that if I would buy another one immediately if anything happened to mine.

In reply to Gordonbp:

I have the Guide 42+ (the women's version). Good pack for what I used it for - a mountaineering course with a few nights in huts. Found it very comfy. It is cavernous and (at least in the SL) a great hip belt for carrying weight.

Only downsides are that the frame isn't removable, so for me the wire edge at the top gets in the way a bit when climbing I'm in harness and helmet (may not bother a taller person, but it seems out of synch with its purpose, and apparently that was the case in an older design). Also the material seems to get pretty sodden quite easily - fair enough that it isn't waterproof, but it somehow laps up water, so I've had to actively dry the pack out after using it in the rain. I never use the front zip function because consequently I have to put everything in a massive dry bag/liner. Mate has a very tough and dry looking Lowe Alpine that I've eyed up with envy on wet days.

Otherwise a nice pack.

Post edited at 23:46
 wbo2 27 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp: I have an Ogre rather than a Tupilak and I cannot honestly say it is any venter than ok.  Its a good size, the roll top is good but it isn't a comfortable carry for me,  the compression straps annoy me, and I think the rope curry is fiddly.  Very average.

OP Gordonbp 28 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

Thanks for all the replies.

I've currently got an ME Ogre 42 (which is a bit marmite in places) and an Osprey Hike 32 so I've decided to actually go for a Guide 34 + 8 to replace both....

Andy Hardy 28 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

The Mrs has an Ogre, the shoulder strap padding has separated internally, twice. The first time we took it back to Outside, who sent it on to ME, who replaced the bag with a new one. The new one has gone the same way so we are following this thread (but unlikely to go for another ME sack)

felt 28 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Another Ogre owner. Shoulder straps both pull outwards if sack is full, so sometimes use chest strap (not a fan) to bring them back in. No problem with fancy closing buckle at top or compression straps; sliding waist belt, very good. Black checkered pattern on grey fabric useful French school maths notebook stand-in.

Andy Hardy 28 Jul 2024
In reply to felt:

On ours the padding has split inside the shoulder strap, so there's a gap / empty section. Not disastrous but not ideal, and disappointing considering it's supposed to be a full spec mountaineering bag.

TechnoJim 28 Jul 2024
In reply to Andy Hardy:

That's what happened to my Ogre (it was a known issue which I suspect led to the relatively rapid removal of the pack from the range), which is how I ended up with the Tupilak. I was feeling flush when offered either like for like replacement or upgrade. Tupliak padding material and strap construction are noticeably much firmer and stronger. No complaints so far.

HardenClimber 30 Jul 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

Not quite what you asked, but...

My previous pack was a Lowe Alpine Attack 35/45....great sack, but now worn out.

Have a ME Fang now. Carries heavy loads well. Back is comfotable, though not very breathable. Fabric seems robust. Sac isn't intrusive when climbing. Extends nicely. Not the lightest. Extendible lid works well. Has one of those side zips, but I've not really figured out what to do with that. Not sure whether I like the grappler buckle. Works well when sac is 'full' but not so convinced when it is slack. Like many sacs the toggle ice axe anchors seem a bit feeble... Not had it long enough to think about durability, but so far it seems good.  Overall, pleased so far.

felt 29 Aug 2024
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> The Mrs has an Ogre, the shoulder strap padding has separated internally, twice. The first time we took it back to Outside, who sent it on to ME, who replaced the bag with a new one. The new one has gone the same way so we are following this thread (but unlikely to go for another ME sack).

Both of my shoulder straps on my Ogre suffer from this splitting  issue and the thread motivated me to report the problem to ME. I sent them pictures (it's quite a hard issue to photograph and my label was quite faded), and they replied:

"Sadly this is not something we can repair in-house, and without a receipt, we could not raise a guarantee claim - additionally, it's difficult to make out on the photo, but the label appears to show AW18 for the production code, putting it at 6 years old and likely outside of any guarantee at this point."

They did give me a couple of links to repair companies, which was nice, but I think I'll just wear it out or try to fix it myself.

OP Gordonbp 30 Aug 2024
In reply to Gordonbp:

Thanks for all the replies! I did some lateral thinking and have replaced both my ME Ogre 42 and my Osprey Hikelite 32 with a Deuter Guide 34 + 8........win win!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...