Day packs - u frame?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi all 

Welcome advice from anyone who's used the Deuter Trail 28 SL or is an absolute nerd in pack frames. This one's probably most relevant to shorter hip-er women though! 

There are very few reviews of these women's packs so appreciate some lived experiences. It's a bit long to explain. 

For as long as I can remember I have been on a vain quest for a good women's day pack. This has now become rather urgent as I head to the Dolomites at the weekend and am resorting to buying packs online that I can't try on.

The old design Osprey Tempest 30l (actually 28l in my size) had all the bells and whistles - for day hikes and just about ok for easy multipitch - but just never sat on my back very comfortably - however much I adjust it, it rises up off my hips. However it was only 45cm tall, soft, and cinched down wonderfully (more than the current design) so was okayissh to climb with when I needed something a bit bigger.

My Deuter 42+l SL fits wonderfully - something about that hip belt! - but, quite frustratingly for a women's mountaineering pack, whacks the back of my head when in harness/helmet because it has a non-removable wire at the top. It's also about 70cm tall. (This is the women's!) It does seem like the trend is to make packs a lot taller and thinner now (though this one is considerably larger volume than my day pack; I'm keeping it for winter).

'Unisex' climbing packs don't work as the back lengths are invariably too long (and in Decathlon terms I am apparently between a 'small' and a 'child') - so the straps float above my shoulders. (I'm 5'3" with hips, so while my torso isn't actually that small, I wear my pack quite high once I have a harness on - this means I need a short back length for climbing/scrambling but good hip belt for walking). 

I'm now looking at the below Deuter packs, but I'm a bit confused. 

*What* is a 'flexible U-frame'? 

- Deuter Trail 28 SL - apparently 59cm tall in the 2022 version (a bit shorter, and cheaper, than the newer model). 'Flexible Detrin U-frame' (not removable). My preferred option as it has a lid and I find those invaluable (although I realised they don't help with the head whacking).

- Deuter Guide 28 SL, flexible, removable Delrin U-frame. No lid.

- Trail Pro 31 SL is equipped with a round profile frame (not removable). No lid. I don't know what a round profile frame means but I assume I can discount this.

​​​​​​Questions: 

Does anyone have the Trail 28 SL and can report back on it? 

Does anyone know what a U-frame is? (I've asked Deuter but no joy yet).

Ta! 

Harry Jarvis 22 Jul 2024
In reply to Queen of the Traverse:

> Does anyone know what a U-frame is? (I've asked Deuter but no joy yet).

I've just googled 'removable Delrin U-frame'

and found this pdf, which appears to show an inverted U. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&a...

Whether it is any use, I am afraid I have no idea. 

Aha. Thank you! 

Jenny C 22 Jul 2024

Despite being tall I struggle with a really short back length, but to add insult to injury many manufacturers team their short back length with a shorter waist band, which isn't sufficient for my hips. 

I use a men's Osprey model and got the long, but adjusted the back system to beyond it's intended range. It's totally solid and I just got some scraps of velcro to cover the excess prickly velcro that's exposed at the top.

On a VF I put the lid inside the drawstring so although it's still attached it's inside the bag to reduce the height and interference with a helmet (wearing the harness dress up space for this).

Sorry not much help, but sympathy from a fellow "you have the wrong body proportions" sufferer. 

Toerag 22 Jul 2024

Delrin is a strong nylony-type plastic.

One of my friends is 5'2 and a 1/2" (apparently the 1/2 is very important!) so I can imagine how you need an ultra-short back.  If it's of any help, the KarrimorSF Sabre 30 (a.k.a. Karrimor HotRock30 of the past) is 52cm high according to their website, and it has a foam mat back rather than a frame. It's probably not as comfy as a Deuter with 'airback', but it does sit close to your back which is beneficial for climbing. I'm on my second, they're great, simple packs.

https://karrimorsf.com/product/sabre-30/

In reply to Jenny C:

I love that idea of putting the lid inside though! I don't know if I can do it with the Trail 28 mind (the lid isn't floating). Sadly men's ones (at least unisex) are always too big and they don't seem to think about the fact that it's not just back length, it's back length *above* hips that matters... 

In reply to Toerag:

Thank you. Not heard of that one. Unfortunately I think it's really good hip belt that I need for comfort more than the actual back padding. I suspect this probably varies dependent on shape of hips, ie you're not supposed to have them (I'm constantly surprised that so many men don't even do up their hip belts - while I had an Amazon delivery driver in shock the other day that I managed to carry a 20kg exercise bike in by putting it on my hip! )

Post edited at 16:10
 Jenny C 22 Jul 2024

My osprey isn't a floating lid, I just tuck the lid inside the main body then tighten the drawstring to hold it in (and tuck away the buckles so they don't snag). It doesn't look pretty but feels more stable and it's certainly better with the helmet, although when I forget it's not a huge annoyance. 

One big tip is that if you use walking poles put them together on the same side of your rucksack. That way (at least in theory) they will only be in the way half the time, where as with one each side they will be in the way all the time.

Another problem with VF is that with a harness my rucksack fits even higher than normal. I'm 5'8 but have an incredibly short back length even for a woman, paired with wide hips (and a fair bit of natural padding).

In reply to Jenny C:

I'll try that, thank you  

Toerag 23 Jul 2024

> Thank you. Not heard of that one.

The HotRock and HotIce 30s were real classic Karrimor sacks in the early 90s.

DamonRoberts 23 Jul 2024

A number of my friends around your size and with similar sounding builds have gotten on very well with Gregory women's packs, both hiking day pack type things and a big expedition style bag. They go down to XS back length in most women's packs they do.

https://eu.gregorypacks.com/uk-en/fit-and-sizing/fit-and-sizing.html

In reply to DamonRoberts:

Thanks! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...