Cicerone - via Ferrata of the Dolomites book (vol1)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 echo34 16 Jul 2024

I’m thinking of heading out to the Dolomites for a short trip to do some via Ferrata later this summer. I have the old version cicerone book with the blue cover (reprinted 2014 version), I see there’s a newer version with a green cover now, does this have any substantial updates/additions over the old one? 

nathan79 16 Jul 2024
In reply to echo34:

I've got the new version. Not sure what the updates, the foreword suggest changes to be mostly updates to existing routes, new routes and deletion of old routes. I've attached pics of the contents, see if that suggest anything major.

andrew roach 19 Jul 2024
In reply to echo34:

We've got the original 2009 books, to be honest haven't used them in anger for years.... but a good insight to potential areas.

Instead look up Bergsteigen.com, select 'Tours' and then 'Klettersteig', use the map view option and zoom into the area in the Dolomites you want to go.  There you will find virtually all the Via Ferratas in the Cicerone guide plus some more, an up-to-date description and route timings, all the information you need on parking, approaches, descents, huts etc.  It's in German, but Google translate is pretty reasonable.  Best of all there are usually plenty of photos and a detailed topo you can download and print off.  It grades each part of the route, so you can see how easy or hard each bit is.  It uses just a single letter, A (Easy) to F (hard!) as grades, think French sports grade to British 'trad' grade on a climb as a comparison.

Been using this site for years - they have loads of Alpine and winter climbs, mountain and ski ascents as well, find everything pretty accurate and up to date. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...