Scrambling in Skye

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Hantsguy 03 Jun 2024

Hi all. New to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

I'm heading to Skye in a few weeks and would like to stand atop one of the mountains, preferably by way of scrambling rather than just plodding up a big hill.

I am a reasonably competent scrambler, having spent a fair bit of time in Snowdonia ticking of many of the traditional routes there from grades 1 to 3. But I'm acutely aware that Scotland is a different kettle of fish and I'm unfamiliar with the terrain and mountains.

Ideally I'd like recommendations for a route that is grade 1/2 and can be completed at a leisurely pace in a day (expecting a long day, but a single day nonetheless).

Staying near Kilburn so thinking one or two of the peaks in the Cuillin or maybe Bla Bheinn.

Thanks in advance.

In reply to Hantsguy:

The south east ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean is pretty straightforward and it's a fantastic summit. Bruac na frithe is a walk.

You could make a loop by walking up into Corrie grundha, up the grade 3 scrambly chimney onto Alasdair, and then scramble off and down the great stone chute into Corrie Lagan. The chimney onto Alasdair is fairly enclosed, so it doesn't feel exposed and the difficulties are over quite quickly.

Tbh, and many may disagree with me here, I think scrambling grades on Skye are a bit softer than in North Wales. Grade 3 scrambles in Eryri often have sections or single moves of mod or diff, and if the same route was on skye it would be listed as that rather than a scrambling grade.

grectangle 03 Jun 2024
In reply to Hantsguy:

I'll 2nd Sgurr nan Gillean.  Really good fun, outstanding summit, and you can be up and back in half a day.

PaulJepson 03 Jun 2024
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I've found the scrambling grades in Scotland generally to be softer than North Wales, not just Skye. 

Rick Graham 03 Jun 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

I find the climbing grades in Scotland harsher than Wales. On Skye, the easier routes can be quite intimidating , especially the slabby sections and definitely if you dont get the best line.

Mark Bull 03 Jun 2024
In reply to Hantsguy:

Some other options: 

NW ridge of Bruach na Frithe (Grade 2), descend via Fionn Choire (or Sgurr a' Bhasteir for a bit more scrambling. 

Sgurr na Banachdich via Coire na Banachdich and S ridge (Grade 1/2), descend via Coire an Eich or Sgurr nan Gobhar.

Sgurr nan Eag via Coire na Ghrunnda (Grade 2). 

Blaven is mainly (very rough) walking: there is a short Grade 2 section between the summit and the S top if you want to make a circuit. 

Belig, Garbh-bheinn and Sgurr nan Each from Loch Slapin is a good round (crux is a short section of 2/3 on Sgurr nan Each). 

Just beware that route finding in poor visibility can be very challenging, even on some of the walking routes: the terrain is so rocky that there aren't necessarily obvious paths on the ground. 

Mike-W-99 03 Jun 2024
In reply to pancakeandchips:

I'd personally not send anyone anywhere near the stone chute it really is hideous nowadays.

PaulJepson 03 Jun 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

Oh yes, the climbing is certainly sterner (at least up to the grades I climb - ~hvs). But both the winter and scrambling up to grade 3 have felt much tougher in North Wales. 

Cam Forrest 03 Jun 2024
In reply to Hantsguy:

Buy the excellent SMC Skye Scrambles guide, and come back for more trips in the future?

Rick Graham 03 Jun 2024
In reply to PaulJepson:

I find on VS and up, the grades fair but no easy touches. 

On mod to severe , long mountain routes, it may just be my poor route finding but often though, say on a severe, need to put my hvs hat on,  as it were, North of the border.

In reply to Hantsguy:

Given your experience, but lack of Skye/Scotland CV, I'd suggest first getting a feel for the place with one of the easier ridge circuits and then seeing how you go with that. All the following are day trips, not huge.

NW Ridge of Bruach na Frithe is an obvious choice, and combines well with Sgurr a' Bhasteir for a good taste of the northern Cuillin: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1208

If that goes well then you might think about something like Sgurr nan Gillean via the SE Ridge. That's the standard way up, not too taxing at grade 3. But bear in mind one key difference with Skye is that summits tend to involve scrambling on the way back down as well - there's few easy walk-offs like you usually get in Wales. For SnG the standard way off is back the way you came, which is not trivial.

Easier alternatives include:

Sgurr nan Eag and out to the southern end of the ridge - some nice scrambling if you want it (grade 2 ish) but mostly rough ridge walking. Back the way you came.

Bla Bheinn - great vantage point, limited scrambling https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1231

Garbh-bheinn is an under-rated outlier with a cracking wee summit ridge (grade 1) https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1260

Sgurr na Banachdich is the easiest Munro in the middle section of the Cuillin main ridge. Good to go up via Coire na Banachdich and the south ridge (nice airy scrambling at grade 2, mostly optional); descend same way or easier via Coire an Eich to make a circuit. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...