Ultra/Trail Running Poles

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JayK 01 Jul 2024

Hi all,

Was hoping that someone would be able to recommend the best shop (in England/Wales) for trail gear. Running poles are a lot more complicated than I thought they were going to be - didn't realise that they need to be fitted. I'm keen for some of the carbon Leki Ultratrail style poles unless people recommend otherwise.

Thanks in advance!

DaveHK 01 Jul 2024
In reply to JayK:

>  didn't realise that they need to be fitted. 

If you're unsure of what size to go for in fixed length poles just try running with some adjustable ones and once you've got the size right order that. If you've not got adjustable ones of your own I'm sure you'll know someone who does. If you're between sizes, go up.

Post edited at 21:09
 dread-i 01 Jul 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

Alpkit do some adjustable carbon ones that fold into 3 sections, as do Harrier. They are robust enough to allow you to vault small streams / puddles. Pop into one of their shops and try some.

Carbon and alloy have different qualities. Alloy might not be as light or fold up as small. On the other hand, if you get the end stuck in a crack, they will bend not snap when travelling at speed. Handy if you have miles to go or they are the main support for your ultra light tent. Fixed poles have different grips, that some people prefer. The idea is that your arm should be about a right angle. Its not an exact science, just what feels right.

Top tips. If you wrap 1m of gaffa tape around each one, you have an emergency stash of tape. Handy for fixing rips in tents, jackets, first aid etc. Also, 3M Diamond Grade reflective tape, from that auction site. Its the stuff you see on emergency vehicles. Wrap some of that around you poles, so that when you leave them against a wall or in long grass at night, you can find them again. If you're racing and there are 100 pairs of poles outside the checkpoint, it allows you to find yours quickly.

In reply to JayK:

Another vote for harrier: really light, fold down small and have a sizing guide on their website

In addition to the tape recommendations above, I got name stickers printed and stuck those on before racing

Jack Frost 02 Jul 2024
In reply to JayK:

I've used alloy adjustable Leki poles since the mid-90s however recently was gifted a pair of BlackDiamond DISTANCE CARBON Z TREKKING/RUNNING POLES. On my first outing, after 8km of running, one of the poles snapped after my foot happened to glance past it. Returned immediately to the Cotswold Outdoor shop where they'd been purchased and got a full refund. Not planning to get Carbon poles again for that reason - far too fragile and the weight saving is negligible. 

redscotti 02 Jul 2024
In reply to Jack Frost:

User error? I've had mine for over 8 years now with no problems....

echo34 02 Jul 2024
In reply to JayK:

I like mountain king poles, they are relatively cheap, light and easy to use. Size guide on their website is easy to use. I cracked one of mine but they repaired it for free

DizzyT 02 Jul 2024
In reply to echo34:

Also a MK user. Approx 50% the price of BD/Leki and happy with function so far (running, not walking).

DaveHK 02 Jul 2024
In reply to echo34:

> I like mountain king poles, they are relatively cheap, light and easy to use. Size guide on their website is easy to use. I cracked one of mine but they repaired it for free

Not sure about the current status of MK, I haven't been able to get hold of them about replacement sections.

Jack Frost 02 Jul 2024
In reply to redscotti:

Yeah that's what the (un)helpful shop assistant suggested in Cotswold. I've been kicking my Leki alloy poles for years without the same catastrophic failure. Maybe I should get my gait adjusted. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...