Hill race maps

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Andypeak 25 Jul 2024

I'm entering my first ultra marathon in a couple of months. On the kit list it specifies I need a map of the route. Does this normally just mean a map covering the area of the route or do they expect me to actually draw the line of the route on the map? Before anyone asks I have asked the question of the event organisers but currently they haven't gotten back to me. 

ablackett 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

I would be almost certain they would be happy with a map of the area with no line drawn on. However - the map is to help you follow the route, so you might want to draw the line on.

What race is it? It might be easy to plot the gpx on OS maps and print it from there, or if you don’t have a subscription get someone on here to send you the pdf. Or, the race organiser might give you a map?

The Potato 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

All the ultras I've done they provided the maps

OP Andypeak 25 Jul 2024
In reply to The Potato:

I appear to have picked one of the few that doesn't 

OP Andypeak 25 Jul 2024
In reply to ablackett:

It's digdeep 50 in Peak district. They do sell a map but I'm reluctant to buy one when I already own 3 maps of the area.  I'm also reluctant to start drawing on my maps, they are things of beauty and should not be defaced. To be honest I'll have GPS on both my phone and watch so a map is more in case it goes horribly wrong. I didn't think of printing one out, it's not something I've ever done before. 

Marek 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

> ... I'm also reluctant to start drawing on my maps, they are things of beauty and should not be defaced.

Maps are tools to be used not artworks to be preserved. My best ones are the ones with all sort of notes, tears (both sorts) and scribbles on them which remind me of adventures planned and lived. That's how I know they are *my* maps, not just something anyone can buy for a few quid. True treasures.

ablackett 25 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

If you send me the gpx I’ll plot it and send you the pdf, then you can print it and not carry the full sheet.

CampusBored 26 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Hi Andy, I work on a few Ultra's across the UK.

The base requirement is usually having the GPX downloaded/saved to your smartphone (saved to OS Maps / Komoot / AllTrails etc..) - this course should be marked but if in doubt you can turn location on and verify via your phone GPS.

Event organisers might advise differently, but I'd imagine you'd get some funny looks if you took out a physical map mid route.

Best of luck for the race.

steveriley 26 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Treat the GPS as a bonus. You'll just need a map, we'd accept a physical map or decent print outs. Least of your worries

timjones 26 Jul 2024
In reply to CampusBored:

It seems a shame that anyone thinks that using a physical map is worthy of funny looks.

I guess it's just a sign of the dumbing down that has to happen in order to attract entrants to an ever growing number of commercially run races ;(

timjones 26 Jul 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

> I'm entering my first ultra marathon in a couple of months. On the kit list it specifies I need a map of the route. Does this normally just mean a map covering the area of the route or do they expect me to actually draw the line of the route on the map? Before anyone asks I have asked the question of the event organisers but currently they haven't gotten back to me. 

The kit list should advise you whether you need a full OS map or that printouts are acceptable.

If a full map is needed is usually just slip one into a plastic bag  and pop it into my pack where it stays for the entire race.

If I am unfamiliar with the area I will often also print out the route on a series of A4 sheets and use that to keep a check of what is coming up ahead. You still cannot beat a paper map to get a broad impression of the terrain ahead.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...