A lenticular kind of day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 wintertree 25 Jun 2024

We were walking in the North Pennines on Sunday around Bolt’s Law and were treated to various displays of lenticular clouds.  The best I’ve seen in a few years.  Hope to see some photos from others from the same day, post away…

Lankyman 26 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

I was a little further south by the Warcop ranges above Brough. No lenticular clouds but fantastic display of wildflowers on the limestone.

CantClimbTom 26 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

Of interest if you like diagrams and trying to visualise stuff. And probably *huge* interest to all the glider (sailplane) pilots out there. Enjoy...

https://chessintheair.com/how-can-i-see-wave/

OP wintertree 26 Jun 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Thanks for the link.  I’m stuck in my home office this afternoon for some calls, watching them come and go in the distance.  They’re not as distinct as on Sunday but are still captivating.

After reading your link I now see each one as a projection of a distinct fell on to the sky; I’m imagining an AR app that triangulates them for distance using a pair of phones, and that using wind speed data and a terrain map to find their sources, overlaying each cloud the name of the fell making it.

Siward 26 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

Some clouds in my gallery that might fit the bill taken years ago, but visibly smeared /stretched by the wind.

Post edited at 19:25

ablackett 27 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

this was Sunday morning near Cow Green, we saw the lenticulars but this fuzzy cloud really caught the eye. It made me feel a bit sick to look at it as it looked out of focus.

OP wintertree 27 Jun 2024
In reply to ablackett:

That cloud is hard to look at even on a photo.  It feels somehow malevolent.  Did it follow you home?

streapadair 27 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

Best lenticulars I've seen, over the Mischabel from the Lagginhorn.

streapadair 27 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

and a bit nearer home.

Dave Todd 27 Jun 2024
In reply to ablackett:

I'm not 100% sure but I think the fuzzy cloud will be a lenticular, but viewed from below.

The 'classic' lenticular images are mostly side views.  Once you get beneath one they can look a bit fuzzy around the edges.  Happy to be corrected on that - but that's what I've always assumed.

Mike-W-99 27 Jun 2024
In reply to wintertree:

I know you were referencing Sundays clouds but since streapadair posted a few…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...