How to download university online classroom recordings?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 14 Jul 2024

How do peeps.

I'm going through the process of downloading my provided university notes, the sheets of info they've provided, and there's some recorded lectures as well. 

With there being no facility via my university website for me to download the recordings provided on the university website, can anybody recommend any IT 'widget' which would make this possible (even if it may go outside of the university content terms and conditions).

Many thanks.

Post edited at 13:18
 broken spectre 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

> can anybody recommend any IT 'widget'

A computer.

OP Timmd 14 Jul 2024
In reply to broken spectre:

Ho ho,

being a mature student entering the job market imminently, it'd be nice to keep as much as I can from my time at uni.

In reply to Timmd:

A memory stick? Cheap and can hold loads.

Edit: Well done anyway! I can vaguely recollect you starting your studies. Feels a long time ago...

Post edited at 13:45
 abcdefg 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

> It'd be nice to keep as much as I can from my time at uni.

Alternatively, why flout the university content terms and conditions to which you have already formally signed up? If that's your regular pattern of behaviour, good luck with getting (and keeping) a job.

OP Timmd 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

Alternatively, why make assumptions about the entirety of a person's character based on one if instance? If that's your regular pattern of behaviour, good luck in relating to people. 

Maybe I have a learning contract which has allowed for more than you envisage?

If you have nothing IT related to add...

Post edited at 13:58
 abcdefg 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

> Maybe I have a learning contract which has allowed for more than you envisage?

Is that the case, or not? It isn't what you implied in your OP.

If indeed it is the case, then the university will be able to assist you in arranging the downloads. So just ask the appropriate person there.

Post edited at 14:05
OP Timmd 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

Shades of grey, it's both.

Do you have anything technical to suggest, or want to argue online?

Post edited at 14:05
 abcdefg 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

> Shades of grey, it's both 

> Do you have anything technical to suggest, or want to argue online?

I am trying to clarify whether or not your request is bona fide. If it is, indeed I might be able to offer technical assistance. 

OP Timmd 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

I've had allowances made due to learning contract, but the technical facility for downloading recorded sessions doesn't exist, despite that (due to the nature of the uni website) so your assistance would be appreciated.

Edit: The uni-IT world isn't perfect.

Post edited at 14:11
In reply to Timmd:

Do you have a headphone jack in your laptop?

It would take forever though because you'd be recording the sessions in real-time.

OP Timmd 14 Jul 2024

Thank you, I'm yet to get my results, but baring a major mistake I'm either on course for a 2.2 or a 2.1, I can get an online masters via Surry uni with a 2.2 if that's what I get, but I'm cautiously optimistic about a 2.1.

It's one of those where sorting out one's mental health enough to get through the work feels akin to a degree in itself, but that progress will stick for life whatever the grade.

Post edited at 14:44
 abcdefg 14 Jul 2024

> Do you have a headphone jack in your laptop?

> It would take forever though because you'd be recording the sessions in real-time.

Are we talking about pure audio recordings here? Or videoed lectures etc.?

OP Timmd 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

It was video recordings I was after doing/copying.

Post edited at 15:13
 montyjohn 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> Alternatively, why flout the university content terms and conditions to which you have already formally signed up? If that's your regular pattern of behaviour, good luck with getting (and keeping) a job.

I would have no reservations ripping off university content for my personal use and I've never had a problem getting and keeping a job.

minimike 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

Two laptops. In front of each other. Facing the same way. 

montyjohn 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> I am trying to clarify whether or not your request is bona fide. If it is, indeed I might be able to offer technical assistance. 

I'm sure no universities will be harmed by Timmd downloading some of the educational content presented to him.

montyjohn 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

No experience but your position I would try ScreenRec which appears to be free and unlimited.

gethin_allen 14 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

Surely the more important aspects of any Ts and Cs and the morality around it is to do with the end use of the material. If Timmd just wants to keep a copy to refer to if the need arises then what's the harm in that? If the plan is to launch their own educational course or to pass this work off in any way as their own then there's an issue.

I know a lot of academic content producers who are unhappy about the situation of having to film all their lectures to account for lazy students who either can't be arsed to turn up or can't be arsed to write notes, but ignoring this aspect, having students keeping a personal copy for reference is pretty benign.

I haven't a clue who you are but I'd still bet that you've done far more dubious stuff.

SouthernSteve 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

I have few problems with you downloading the captured lectures, but I question whether you will ever look at them again. Notes are usually much more accessible when you are in a job, and if you are to be 'a life-long learner' (as I am sure your uni will have wanted) it is probably better just knowing where to look for the latest and greatest. I presume you have your notes, the PowerPoints and other materials in answering like this. 

So in summary, I feel you could spend hours downloading a mass of stuff of limited value when you could be going to the hills!

Post edited at 16:01
 Fraser 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

You could try installing the Bandicam.com app. It's a screen recorder (including audio) but I think the free version is limited to 20 minutes. 

Blue Straggler 14 Jul 2024

> A computer.

And a search engine

hokkyokusei 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

At the risk of provoking the obvious answer, have you tried asking the university IT department for the content?

Post edited at 20:14
 planetmarshall 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

Hi Tim.

I see you've already had a number of enormously helpful responses to your request.

If I can add one more, it rather depends on how your University provides the videos. There are a couple of possible solutions -

1. Use Chrome or Firefox developer tools to find the URL of the video you need. If it ends in "mp4" or "m4v", then it's simply a download link to a video file that you can save to your computer by directly entering the link address in a new tab.

2. Download OBS Studio and set it up to record from your screen, and play the video. Refer to online help on how to use the software.

rockcatch 14 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

Software I use on my Mac allows downloading on YouTube and Facebook videos. I’ve not tried it with others, but it might work. 
https://www.parallels.com/tips/features/download-video/

abcdefg 15 Jul 2024
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> At the risk of provoking the obvious answer, have you tried asking the university IT department for the content?

Essentially, my own suggestion. Or, alternatively, ask the specific lecturer(s) involved.

abcdefg 15 Jul 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> I would have no reservations ripping off university content ...

Aye. From your many previous posts, I can guess that's what your position would be.

Post edited at 01:33
 montyjohn 15 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> Aye. From your many previous posts, I can guess that's what your position would be.

I evaluate things on a case by case basis to decide what I think is morally correct and justified. 

I'm sure you would never do anything that I think is morally wrong.

Make sure you take care as you step off that incredibly high chair of yours.

Alkis 15 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

You are allowed to record lectures you attend with a recorder, so while downloading online lectures for future personal reference /might/ be against the letter of the T&C of /some/ universities, it absolutely isn’t against the spirit of the T&Cs. If you then start distributing that material it’s a different story altogether.

Neil Williams 15 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

I can't see anything morally wrong with doing so as long as the content is not shared with others.  Might be technically illegal, but so is driving at 71mph on a motorway and just about every driver will have done it at some point.

The ultimate way to do it is to point a camera at the screen and re-record it...cinema piracy style

Post edited at 09:54
 compost 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

Asking the IT dept for the files might well be best. Otherwise...

Presumably you have a Microsoft license as a student?

You could start a Teams meeting, hit record, then share your screen while playing the content. It'll record as a Stream and you can then download it.

abcdefg 15 Jul 2024
In reply to montyjohn:

> Make sure you take care as you step off that incredibly high chair of yours.

'High chair'?!

montyjohn 15 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

Is that a question?

Luke90 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

The screen recording options people have suggested will definitely work, but at the cost of taking a huge amount of time. Unless the university have gone to quite significant lengths to protect the recordings, which seems unlikely, it will almost certainly be possible to just directly download the recordings rather than having to do screen capture.

It's difficult to advise without being able to view the actual website, but it would be worth trying some video download browser extensions. Go to the extension store for your particular browser and search for something like "video downloader". Do pay attention to reviews to make sure you're not choosing a shady option, but there should be plenty of legitimate ones. Depending on the extension and browser, it normally appears as a button you can click next to the URL bar, or as an addition to the right click context menu. You'd navigate to the video you want to grab, set it playing, and then invoke the extension. It might find multiple videos, either different quality versions, or other videos on the same page, so you might need to experiment with which specific one you want. After the first couple, you should be able to learn the pattern of what you actually want to download.

I think it's absurd for people to be pearl-clutching about T&Cs. You've presumably paid huge amounts of money for this material. Retaining a copy for your own personal use is thoroughly reasonable, regardless of what the small print might say. Though I'd also echo the question about how likely you are to actually go back to it. I have mild hoarding tendencies and made a point of keeping all my university notes, but never once looked back at them in practice.

abcdefg 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Luke90:

> ... Unless the university have gone to quite significant lengths to protect the recordings, which seems unlikely, it will almost certainly be possible to just directly download the recordings rather than having to do screen capture.

> It's difficult to advise without being able to view the actual website ...

The likelihood is that the videos are made available via one of the many 'on-line learning platforms' now in use across schools and universities.

Luke90 15 Jul 2024
In reply to abcdefg:

> The likelihood is that the videos are made available via one of the many 'on-line learning platforms' now in use across schools and universities.

Good point. Which still means it's likely to be possible to download the video rather than having to faff with screen capture. I'd suggest that OP finds the name of the platform and Google's "download video from [platform name]".

Bob Kemp 15 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

I assume there are transcripts of these lectures- they have to supply these to comply with accessibility requirements. It would be much easier to copy these, and they may be available for download. 

OP Timmd 17 Jul 2024
In reply to compost:

> Asking the IT dept for the files might well be best. Otherwise...

> Presumably you have a Microsoft license as a student?

> You could start a Teams meeting, hit record, then share your screen while playing the content. It'll record as a Stream and you can then download it.

That sounds like 'the plan', easy enough to do. There's some very helpful GIS tutorials and similar starting from a point of no knowledge, and clearly described, so I'm indeed likely to need those with GIS being more common.

Quite interesting to have sparked a 'The Moral Maze' style debate, material harm has generally been where immorality 'pings' as a redflag for me, or where lying by omission may happen. 

Post edited at 13:04
In reply to Alkis:

> You are allowed to record lectures you attend with a recorder...

I know times have changed, but I only ever managed to get a dodgy rendition of '3 Blind Mice' out of mine

OP Timmd 18 Jul 2024
In reply to Luke90:

> I think it's absurd for people to be pearl-clutching about T&Cs. You've presumably paid huge amounts of money for this material. Retaining a copy for your own personal use is thoroughly reasonable, regardless of what the small print might say. Though I'd also echo the question about how likely you are to actually go back to it. I have mild hoarding tendencies and made a point of keeping all my university notes, but never once looked back at them in practice.

We all see reality through our own 'prism' it stikes me, in some capacities, the keeping to the small print approach is exactly what one wants people to do, where it's Dr's prescriptions, or certain procedures. It's valid enough I reckon.

One of my lecturers spoke of keeping her notes on statistics from her degree, and going back to them during a job at the Environment Agency and them doing their job for a certain task, so I'm being mindful of that. 

Post edited at 16:39
 wintertree 18 Jul 2024
In reply to Timmd:

> One of my lecturers spoke of keeping her notes on statistics from her degree, and going back to them during a job at the Environment Agency and them doing their job for a certain task, so I'm being mindful of that. 

These days we have Google and Stack Overflow.  There were very few u/g lecture courses where I’d prefer my notes or a modern style screen recording to online resources.  Ironically the best lecturers I had - that still stick in my mind - were chalk and talk building up complex models with maths and diagrams. Teaching like that now is more than twice the work as you can still “whiteboard and talk” but the slide deck has to have all the content too, and once it’s in electronic format a much higher standard is expected than for boards.  LaTeX and Beamer saved my sanity there…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...