Where to buy 11mm static?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm in the Peak District and used to get my static from Caving Supplies in Buxton. They have pretty much closed down now due to retirement. Any ideas where I can get some 11mm?

I only need 30-35m of the stuff.

Post edited at 16:47
 craig h 22 Jun 2024
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Try Abaris International in Holmfirth, I have seen them selling shorter lengths at times, nice helpful place. https://www.abaris.co.uk/

Best deal I can see at the moment, but awaiting stock. https://www.abaris.co.uk/Beal-Contract-10.5mm-Semi-Static-Abseil-Rope?pv=65...

Post edited at 17:12
In reply to craig h:

Thanks Craig. I'll ring them on Monday.

Outside sell it off the reel cut to whatever length you like. Its quite pricey at £2.50 a meter but very convenient if you need it quickly.

EdS 22 Jun 2024

Do you want static or normal semi-static.

If you want static your choices are limited,  especially 11mm . 

Even with semi static 11mm is getting  harder to find and more newer devices won't accept it.

10.5 or 10mm be better?

Starless River

https://starlessriver.com/

ExiledScot 22 Jun 2024

Many marine and yachting suppliers sell static LSK in varying lengths and diameters. Granted the sailing market usually have deeper pockets than cavers(who doesn't), so likely not the cheapest.

TobyA 22 Jun 2024

Decathlon, if you can get to Sheffield or Manchester. I got my lump from there, cheaper than the other options. I think mine is 30 mtrs but some different lengths were available.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/sports/climbing/static-ropes 

Post edited at 21:12
 EdS 22 Jun 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

Cavers use semi static Type A or B rope. Or even Type L cord for expedition ....not static 

Sailing does use static- definitely not something to abseil on

Post edited at 22:28
 ExiledScot 23 Jun 2024
In reply to EdS:

> Cavers use semi static Type A or B rope. Or even Type L cord for expedition ....not static 

> Sailing does use static- definitely not something to abseil on

I know it's just a term, 'static rope'  or 'static LSK', low stretch kernmantle. Obviously the % of stretch under load matters in each respective use. 

Thanks,

ES (Caver, climber, rope rescue technician, hopeless sailor)

ExiledScot 23 Jun 2024
In reply to EdS:

> Cavers use semi static Type A or B rope. Or even Type L cord for expedition ....not static 

EG. 

https://shop.marlowropes.com/en-gb/static-lsk-kc

CantClimbTom 23 Jun 2024
In reply to ExiledScot:

I've had great deals on LSK (manufactured by Southern Ropes) although I always go for 10.5, my problem's been all the 11mm bargains I don't want.

Been getting via eBay, by the spool (200m) at just under £1 per metre, but some bargains exist too for short lengths. eBay and LSK if you're a skinflint! 

OP are you sure you don't want 10.5mm, it's still reassuringly chunky at 10.5 and useable in more devices, as well as lighter smaller packing and all that...

Post edited at 09:00
 deepsoup 23 Jun 2024
In reply to EdS:

The manufacturers and sellers of rope conforming to EN1891 type A or B* use the terms "static", "semi-static" and "LSK"(Low Stretch Kernmantle) more or less randomly and interchangeably.  The term "static" is perhaps a bit old-fashioned now, "LSK" more modern, but they are all the same.

* Climbers looking for a general purpose rope for rigging, abseiling and occasional ascending will be wanting type-A btw.  It's generally stronger and more robust.  Anyone who really wants a type-B rope will understand the difference and know why they want it.

The standard sets a maximum amount of elongation under load, but also a maximum impact force in a drop test (similar to how dynamic ropes are tested).  In effect that means there is also a minimum amount of stretch - an upper bound on how 'static' they are allowed to be.  (Regardless of whether the manufacturer calls it "static", "semi-static" or whatever.)

If you're interested in the minutiae* of how the test results for one rope compare to another, you need to forget about what the manufacturer calls it and look at the specs. 

* A climber just wanting a general purpose rigging/abseiling rope really doesn't need to be - as long as it meets the standard it'll be fine.

> Sailing does use static- definitely not something to abseil on

Ropes are available for various purposes, including sailing, that are too static to be certified to EN1891 (because they would fail the 'drop test') and yes you are absolutely right, they're definitely not something you would want to buy for eg: abbing in to a sea cliff.

Post edited at 11:03
 deepsoup 23 Jun 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

> eBay and LSK if you're a skinflint! 

Southern Ropes LSK isn't just cheap to be fair, it's also good stuff.  Handles really nicely.

One of the ebay sellers is based in Doncaster and seems to have plenty of 10.5mm in stock.  (eg: item number 323547711200)  Dunno if it might be worth the OP schlepping over there if he's in a hurry..

ExiledScot 23 Jun 2024
In reply to CantClimbTom:

Shorter random lengths are great for rigging multiple cave pitches though. Nobody wants to drag 25m ropes underground to just rig 10m etc.

The question is really why are they selling shorter lengths, cut from damaged, heavily used etc... when my life hangs on single line I like to know its history! 

Ian Carr 23 Jun 2024

Mail order from Inglesports is my route.

In reply to Ian Carr:

Thanks Ian - exactly what I was after and I have ordered some lovely 11mm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...