La Sportiva Makalu GTX

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
James S 20 May 2002
Need some help with some new boots, I want to use them for everything (Hiking to winter climbing!)

Before i had the new mantas which fit fine - but are crap!

I have G12 newmatic crampons aswell.

What are the makalu's like, do they take a thrashing? and will they fit my G12's safely cos some shops say they are b1 rating others b2 - if there borderline is the g12 abit to much for all day climbing?!

Thanks in advanced for your help...James
OP Big Yin 21 May 2002
In reply to James S: Ah hiv a pair o them,their no very stiff fer ice,an tae bulky fer rock climbing,ah wid get a pair o thae light fully stiffened sportiva`s,cannae mind whit ye call them.
Or else the Scarpa wan`s ,the blue wan`s ,Freney`s ah think.
 Dave B 21 May 2002
In reply to James S:

What was up with you Mantas. i.e. define "crap". Just interested.

Cheers

djb
Martin Morgan 21 May 2002
In reply to James S: The Makalus are deffo B2 I too have G12 newmatisc and they seem fine in them (probably not for steep ice thought, they are great for scramling and easy climbing to I have a pair of the Gortex type (blue ) and my mate has a pair of the non gortex (beige) and he has a pair of 12 pt Stubai step in crampons with no problems.
But then both our feet fit La Sportiva ( as I have nepal extremes for ice climbing and Trango lights for climbing).
you might want to consider Salamon Mountain Experts they look pretty good too .

cheers M
OP James S 21 May 2002
In reply to Dave B:

The leather has gone really soft - especially the toe box where it needs to be stiff to save your toes
The padding in the tongue has gone - so hurts like hell when kicking steps or going down hill (you can feel the backs of the eyelets protruding)
They leak like hell (I know they are not ment to be waterproof but after a good coating of nikwax they are ment to be water resistant - they arn't even that!)

I've only had them for 6 months and not used them much - Not what you expect from a boot thats won loads of awards and costs £150!
I'm very disapointed with the proformance of scarpa boots, previous to my mantas I had a pair of SL's which fell apart after a few weeks use.

Prehaps I'm just unlucky - but I'm not going to give scarpa any more of my money!
 Dave B 22 May 2002
In reply to James S:

James,

That doesn't sound so great. I'm interested as I have a pair, but not with so much use... I'll let you know how I feel in a years time. Probably the same as you . Bummer.

Cheers

djb
Martin Morgan 22 May 2002
In reply to James S: hey James if you have size 42 or 45 size feet the non gortex type makalus gtx are at

http://www.cmmonline.co.uk/shop/items/default.asp?id=22908000

for £99 or at rock n run for £125 (10% off if you are a YHA member)
Smiff 28 May 2002
In reply to James S: LS Makalus. The old ones are not B2 mine are well flexi. Well comfy however, and gtx so theortically waterproof. I have heard that W G gore are offering a satisfaction guarantee on goretex now. ie if you look after your kit and it still leaks then you can send it back and tell them it's crap. Someone set me straight.

Smiff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...