Chouinard Stopper 6

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 30 May 2024

...probably dates from the early 70s (er, 1970s.) It used to be my favourite nut, and I'd like to start using it again. Is it still safe, or would it just crumble into dust under load?

Dan Arkle 30 May 2024
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

The nut will be fine. 

If its on wire, then that's the weak point, I'd expect it to be work hardened and brittle by now. Is it still flexible? Any broken strands?

If its on cord, replace that and you are good to go. 

Dan Arkle 30 May 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

As part of my research for this response, I came across the vintage climbing website that are selling a full set of these for $1000 and BD ATC belay devices for $100 

Consider selling! 

In reply to Dan Arkle:

Anything for a couple of original Sticht plates?

kevin stephens 31 May 2024

My first ever rack consisted of two Moacs, a Chouinard Hex 7 and Chouinard Stopper 6, it got me up a surprising number of routes

wbo2 31 May 2024

If its been  sat in a cupboard i dont see that work hardeing would occur.  If the wire looks good then I'd think it ok

Pedro50 31 May 2024

Why did you stop using it? Mine were mothballed when WC Rocks appeared.

Rick Graham 31 May 2024

Probably the only way the metal could be compromised is sea water corrosion.

Clean it back to bare metal with soapy water and old toothbrush/ rag. If it looks OK it probably is.

Rick Graham 31 May 2024
In reply to Pedro50:

> Why did you stop using it? Mine were mothballed when WC Rocks appeared.

I have a theory that nuts work better nearer the manufacturers base , where presumably the design is tested and refined.

In Yosemite,  the British nuts are  often too grabby and sophisticated,  finding the BD stoppers and hexes more user friendly , at least on  the free climbing grades I climb.

Pedro50 31 May 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

> In Yosemite,  the British nuts are  often too grabby and sophisticated,  finding the BD stoppers and hexes more user friendly , at least on  the free climbing grades I climb.

This makes sense. On my first Yosemite visit in 1980 I took two Rocks to supplement my Chouinard stoppers. They both got stuck and abandoned 😕 Never had any problems back home. 

EdS 31 May 2024
In reply to Dan Arkle:

Bloody hell....some of the prices on that site.

I most be sitting on several grands worth of old nut and crabs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...