Best alternative to Sportiva Katana?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 03 Jul 2024

Sportiva Katanas seem hard to come by in real shops these days. Can anyone suggest a more commonly available similar alternative in terms of fit, comfort and relatively soft insole for long trad and grit? For reference I use Scarpa Vapours for sport climbing. Thanks

C Rettiw 03 Jul 2024
In reply to kevin stephens:

Try a different shop? If a shop doesn't stock the Katana Lace, it is not really a climbing shop.

wbo2 03 Jul 2024

Another pair of vapours? 

In reply to C Rettiw:

> Try a different shop? If a shop doesn't stock the Katana Lace, it is not really a climbing shop.

Shops have websites which show their (lack of) availability for Katanas hence saving wasted fuel cost. I’ve always preferred Katana velcro

In reply to wbo2:

> Another pair of vapours? 

They climb very differently to Katanas

ste_d 03 Jul 2024

I must admit I did wonder if sportiva were discontinuing the katana when various shops were selling off stock cheap a few months back, this is just my speculation and could be completely erroneous... Sorry can't comment on an alternative

In reply to C Rettiw:

> Try a different shop? If a shop doesn't stock the Katana Lace, it is not really a climbing shop.

Maybe with your wisdom you can suggest “really a climbing shop” that has Katanas in stock in a range of sizes?

Tenaya Iati or Oasi could be worth a shot.

In reply to Euan McKendrick:

Thanks Euan

Ramon Marin 03 Jul 2024

Laces or velcros?

In reply to Ramon Marin:

Velcros, I like the luxury of slipping them loose or off on belays on long routes

Oh some good news. It seems that although the old model Katana velcro is very scarce, a new Katana velcro is now available in a wide range of sizes, so panic over

Jon Read 03 Jul 2024

Yes, it's just that a new model is coming out / come out. 

https://bananafingers.co.uk/la-sportiva-katana?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KC...

should suffice?

Iamgregp 03 Jul 2024
In reply to Jon Read:

Yeah I just bought a pair of Katanas from Bananafingers a while couple of weeks ago so was confused by this thread.

New version just seem to be a slight cosmetic tweak. Feel and sizing is same as always.

nufkin 03 Jul 2024

> similar alternative in terms of fit, comfort and relatively soft insole

Have you tried the Kubos? If I recall the Sportivawaffle correctly, they're based on the Katana last, but with a split sole and a bit more rubber over the toes to make them a bit softer and more techy

Morgan Woods 06 Jul 2024

I have gone from Katanas to Skwama for trad, sport, single, multi and indoor. Wouldn't bother with any other shoe now. I am a street 42 and size them 39.5 or 40 but they are not super tight, just need a session or two with the plastic sheets provided. If you can, then I think a one shoe fits all approach for multiple styles removes a lot of hassle. I used to bring 2 Skwamas to the crag, one warm up and one for send but now get by with one pair for the whole day. Each pair gets a resole once, then they become indoor shoes for board climbs etc where a few rand holes don't matter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...