The Conspiracy Tourist - Travels Through a Strange World

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broken spectre 12 Jun 2024

The Conspiracy Tourist by Dom Joly is available for Kindle and to listen to, but to get a print copy there's a wait until October. Whilst being a bit of fun, it should also be quite an educational read as he travels the world debunking some pervasive myths.

For such a necessary book, you'd think they'd rush this one to the front of the print queue and put it on school's reading lists too. They should roll it out like a vaccine.

Plus, using humour is surely the right approach too, otherwise you might get sucked in to the nonsense yourself or simply go crackers at the absurdity/stupidity of it all!

Being yet to read it (apart from the first few pages on the "look inside" function), I harbour high hopes. So this post is (ironically) theoretical itself! I hope Dom's got this right.

Have you read it? Do you rate it? Are there any books of a similar ilk out there?

In reply to broken spectre:

Instant downvote!

Bob Kemp 12 Jun 2024

The Phantom Downvoter is on fine form at the moment.

In reply to Bob Kemp:

Maybe it's because I've half reviewed a book I haven't read yet. Is that so wrong?

Edit: I have read The Dark Tourist: Sightseeing in the world's most unlikely holiday destinations

Which was excellent.

Post edited at 18:49
 Hooo 12 Jun 2024

I immediately thought "Sounds great, I'll get it". £12.99 for the Kindle edition? Think I'll wait for the paperback.

In the meantime, "The Other Pandemic: How QAnon Contaminated the World" by James Ball is well worth a read.

In reply to Hooo:

July 4th (also election day) for this one in paperback!

It's now on my "wish list". Thanks.

McHeath 12 Jun 2024

> Maybe it's because I've half reviewed a book I haven't read yet. Is that so wrong?

Yes; you didn‘t „half review“ it, you basically gave it a (very short) rave review, called it a „necessary“ book and advised that it be put on schools‘ reading lists. All that without having read it yourself.

DaveHK 14 Jun 2024

It won't be bought by those who believe in conspiracy theories it'll be bought by those who don't and are looking for a bit of a laugh about conspiracy theories.

So I suspect that it won't have much impact on the conspiracy theorists of the world.

McHeath 14 Jun 2024
In reply to DaveHK:

> An accessible book that gently pokes fun at where the consumption of alt-facts gets you is necessary.

Yes, but how do you know that this book fulfils that?

> I stand by this. Dom Joly is hilarious.

Maybe also in this book; you don´t know.

> Mr Joly is not an unknown quantity, he's an established author, comedian and a widely recognised  personality and all round good egg.

Sounds like a jolly good chap. But the pressure from publishers to roll out the next bestseller is huge, large amounts of cash are beckoning to all concerned, and the number of bestseller authors who have failed to meet expectations after previous successes is legion. I´d recommend waiting, reading the book first, and only then "reviewing" it.

>I stand by every word, including "roll it out like a vaccine."

Not sure if I´d have trusted a COVID-vaccine which had so far only been praised by the marketing department of the firm selling it. But whatever.

Edit: oops, your post was deleted while I was replying.

Post edited at 21:18

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...