Realising Dust

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 aln 09 Jul 2024

One of my favourite bands are Screaming Trees. I came to them after they split, and explored their back catalogue. Dust has often been touted as their best work, but I always preferred Sweet Oblivion. But I'm listening to Dust now, and I'm loving it!

Sam Beaton 09 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

Funny you should mention them just now. A review of Mark Lanegan's album Whiskey For The Holy Ghost popped up on FB this morning and I'm about to listen to it. His voice is amazing (as is Sweet Oblivion. I haven't listened to Dust but will soon)

OP aln 09 Jul 2024
In reply to Sam Beaton:

He might not be a perfect singer in a technical sense, but he has that gravel and honey kinda thing that's perfect for his music. For me, Sweet Oblivion is a masterpiece, power, beauty and gravitas. I'm just getting into Lanegan's solo stuff, I need to check out Whiskey.... Bumblebee also gets great reviews. 

If you haven't read his autobiography, Sing Backwards And Weep, you really should.

Post edited at 16:04
In reply to aln:

> If you haven't read his autobiography, Sing Backwards And Weep, you really should.

A bit of a gruelling read but a great insight into the backstory of the music scene of the time. The bits about Liam Gallagher are rather amusing.

broken spectre 11 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

Enjoyed! Screaming Trees is a group I know nothing about.

For some reason it put me in mind of Welcome to Sky Valley - Kyuss and Era Vulgaris - Queens of the Stone Age.

I believe Lanegan was part of that circle. His voice is something else!

OP aln 11 Jul 2024
In reply to broken spectre:

Glad you liked it! Have a listen to Sweet Oblivion next.

Lanegan and Homme were close, Homme sometimes played live with ST. Homme was there when Lanegan had the hilarious encounter with LG mentioned above.

Bog ninja 11 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

His vocal contributions on the QOTSA album’s were always highlights for me, my personal favourite was ‘In the Fade’ off the  Rated R album, he’s singing the chorus with full snarl. He spent his last years in Killarney back home, I’d have loved to bumped into him in his wandering around the park

critter 12 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

Mainly got into him through his great body of solo work. 

The autobiography is also a great read.

Bottom Clinger 12 Jul 2024
In reply to Bog ninja:

Posted this on here a while back, on another Screaming Trees / Mark L thread. Hanging Tree, acoustic, a stonker…

youtube.com/watch?v=grw5AT5kq0c&

And whilst I’m at it, Tinariwen with Mark L and Kurt Vile  

youtube.com/watch?v=U3lRWTI-okA&

Post edited at 23:40
 Timmd 13 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

I grew up liking Sweet Oblivion because of my oldest brother (we're at opposite ends of the GenX category), will give that a listen too.

Post edited at 17:25
OP aln 13 Jul 2024
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

> Posted this on here a while back, on another Screaming Trees / Mark L thread.

I think that was also one of mine. I go through phases of obsession with my favourite bands, where I'm back to being a teenage fanboy for a month, then go onto another 😃

Your 2 recommendations are indeed excellent.

Bottom Clinger 13 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

It was indeed your thread. I know some right snobby muso types, and some right old grungy types, and some old punk rocker types - all of them really like Mark L and that amazing voice of his.  

In reply to aln:

And, iirc, I also posted this beauty with PJ Harvey:

youtube.com/watch?v=azH5eEXtllc&

OP aln 13 Jul 2024

> And, iirc, I also posted this beauty with PJ Harvey:

I don't remember that one, and I don't see PJ, but it's also fantastic. 

In reply to aln:

Shes there alright, dual vocals 

Anyway, this thread resurgence has got me playing all manner of guitar based classics just now: Afghan Whigs, Swervedriver….

In reply to aln:

Mark L: Gravediggers Song, for those that haven’t had the pleasure ….

youtube.com/watch?v=mVCNSZPPr9M&

In reply to aln:

Another classic with Mark L and PJ:

youtube.com/watch?v=dHZovvTWr88&

Bottom Clinger 14 Jul 2024
In reply to aln:

First time I’ve heard this - blown away…  Isobel Campbell and mark L

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3efHXkLFH8&pp=ygUid2hvIGJ1aWx0IHRoZSByb2...

OP aln 14 Jul 2024

> Mark L: Gravediggers Song, for those that haven’t had the pleasure ….

Love that

Post edited at 01:27

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...