Trans pennine trail on a Brompton

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm thinking about doing the TPT this autumn on a Brompton, pulling a small trailer. Am I mad?! Should I be concerned about the surface in places? I grew up in the Glossop area, so I'm familiar with the part from Hadfield to Woodhead on the Longdendale Trail, and I've biked it a few times, but never on a Brompton.

Sleepymouse 08 Jun 2024
In reply to AndrewInVancouver:

I don't know the path conditions. We've taken our Bromptons to places like the New Forest and whilst they are ok for smooth even tracks the small wheels can't really cope with too much loose gravel and mud as the tires slip and slide making the bike difficult to control. 

Also with the small wheels it can get quite uncomfortable if it's a bumpy surface.

TobyA 08 Jun 2024

The bit over the Woodhead pass, above the tunnel, involved a bit of pushing when I did the middle section on a CX bike from memory. I've ridden from the Humber Bridge west to somewhere down Rotherham way (can't remember where I left the TPT), all pretty smooth and flat - dodging Donnie scallies on scooters and Saurons (?) was the biggest issue I remember!

I've heard Liverpool - Manchester described as urban and not very nice, I wasn't that impressed going west from the Humber either. Not sure if it's a trail I'm interested in completing. How about the Rebellion Way in Norfolk? That looks really nice.

I didn't know that the Pennine trail was trans...

CathS 08 Jun 2024

Between Altrincham and Lymm is generally OK, with the odd section of standing water and muddy puddles after it's been wet. I wouldn't describe it as 'smooth' though.

From Lymm to Warrington, after an initial section with a new rubber/resin surface, until recently it was a virtually unrideable quagmire, with deep rutted mud and standing water.  Recently the worse sections have been covered with uncompacted hardcore.  It's quite loose in places and very rattly to ride on a MTB.  I think you'd be doing quite a bit of getting off and pushing with a Brompton.

Post edited at 13:38
 Howard J 08 Jun 2024

I've ridden parts of it around Liverpool, Manchester and Sheffield on a Brompton with no problem. However the TPT website says this:

Most of the Trail is off-road, but not all is surfaced; you will need a bike and tyres capable of being taken off-road. A mountain bike or sturdy tourer will be more than capable of riding the Trail, thin racing wheels / tyres are not recommended.

You could try asking the TPT office for more information about the unsurfaced areas. You may be able to find an alternative route past these.

Hopevalleypaul 08 Jun 2024

You're not mad, sounds like a great trip, go for it. 

In terms of not having quite the right bike, I'm sure it will be fine with a little bit of occasional pushing. I'm yet to find the perfect bike for a trip, there is always a time when you're  under/over biked. Reminds me of this great old film of people racing across Alaska on bikes before snow bikes were a thing. 

vimeo.com/84178875 

Becky E 10 Jun 2024
In reply to Sleepymouse:

This is a good write-up of riding the TPT on an "inappropriate" bike

https://yorkcyclecampaign.bike/2020/04/03/high-heeled-shoes-on-the-trans-pe...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...