Salsa Vaya sizing advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 VictorM 13 Jun 2024

I want to build a new allroad adventure bike this winter. I love my 2016 Specialized Crux but its tire clearance is limited for the stuff I want to do to/with my gravel bike. I also think the sizing is slightly off for me, I've had to put a 75mm stem on it for me to be in a comfortable position for long rides (I know, it's a cyclocross bike and that's not what they're designed for...)

The wish list:

Steel frame (not exactly necessary but I love the ride quality)

Carbon fork

Comfortable position (which for me means that the handlebar is about 5-10cm lower than the saddle)

Tire clearance 45-50mm in 700c

Available in the EU (sadly many of the very nice UK bike builders have become too pricy due to Brexit)

I've been weighing my options and one that I've crossed off my list earlier for being too slack and upright has come back on, only one size down: The Salsa Vaya in a size 55. According to Salsa this size is intended for riders 170cm-178cm. I'm 178cm. With the next size up, I'm square in the middle of the size bracket.

The Crux is a size 56. I'm running a zero setback seat post with the saddle slightly forward of center, and a 75mm -12 stem on top of the full original spacer stack (I would guess about 5 centimeter measured from the top headset bearing). 

The Vaya 55 would be about 26mm more upright and 20mm shorter compared to the Crux. Geo pic from bikeinsights looks like the pic below. My gut says it would work very well for me given the Crux in its original configuration felt too stretched out - but maybe I'm missing something. 

We don't really have Salsa dealerships nearby so no way to know for sure before ordering a frameset. What does the UKC gravel hive mind make of this? 

Post edited at 18:34

OP VictorM 27 Jun 2024
In reply to VictorM:

If anyone is interested, after some deliberation with the owner of Wheelrunner (a small bike shop in Amsterdam) I went with the 55, which he ordered for me. Currently building it up, can't wait until it's done!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...