How many equivalent of Corbetts are there in the Lake District?

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 veteye 20 May 2024

Just reading the Drunken Baker's thread about Glaramara (which is one), made me wonder about how many "Corbetts" there are in strict terms (or does Great End take that role, or are they two in total?)?

Mike-W-99 20 May 2024
In reply to veteye:

I've seen the list somewhere but here's the Marilyns that would be easy enough to filter (the site lets you do it but its not obvious) https://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/waypoints/download/?list=marilyns&area=...

Lankyman 20 May 2024
In reply to veteye:

I saw a list years ago and it's surprisingly few (to me at least) - about half a dozen or so I think? Many of the well-known 2,500 ft-plus summits in the Lakes lack the 500 ft drop between peaks. Some fells you'd think would be on the list aren't. Great End wouldn't count.

Mark Bull 20 May 2024
In reply to veteye:

There is a list here: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/ticklists/englands_furth_munros_corbe...

There are 17 in England, of which 14 are in the Lake District.

Post edited at 08:59
 Lankyman 20 May 2024
In reply to Mark Bull:

A few more 'Corbetts' in the Lakes than I thought. Looking through that list I thought 'Ha! A list where I've actually done them all!' On closer inspection there are two that I haven't done (Burnhope Seat and High Willhays).

Fat Bumbly 2.0 20 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

J. R. Corbett's list included the furth hills.

Mike-W-99 20 May 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

Interesting, the smc journal only lists the Scottish ones. https://www.smc.org.uk/journal/downloads and choose the 1952 journal. The 1953 one has some more information but no mention of English summits.

OP veteye 21 May 2024
In reply to Mark Bull:

Thank you very much.

Dave Hewitt 21 May 2024
In reply to Fat Bumbly 2.0:

> J. R. Corbett's list included the furth hills.

Indeed. I've spoken with members of the Rucksack Club (Corbett's main club) who regard Pillar and Cadair Idris etc as proper Corbetts, rather than Furth equivalents (as with say Helvellyn or Tryfan in the Munro-height category). It appears that the SMC made a bit of a hash of handling Corbett's bequeathed papers - the late Robin Campbell and I both had a go at finding them, but without any joy. Given that Corbett first wrote about what he called "Twenty-Fives" in 1911, the non-Scottish ones probably should have equal status. There's also the question of drop definition - Robin reckoned Corbett intended nine 50ft contours, which would allow more hills in - but again there doesn't seem to be any available primary source document to check this.

Certainly as someone based in Scotland who has spent a fair amount of time in the Lakes because of family connections, I've come to regard Fairfield and so on as full Corbetts, even though that ship has probably long since sailed in terms of general acceptance.

Fat Bumbly 2.0 22 May 2024
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

In my early bagging years, I spent time in the map library looking for the Firths - discovering such esoterica as Glascwm (which became a very much well loved venue thanks to Cam Cywarch later on).  Even checked out Faroe - was going to have a go but they took off the ferry.

Mark Bull 22 May 2024
In reply to BelleVedere:

Inconsistently, the list of Furth Munros does not distinguish between Munros and Munro Tops, as is the case for the main list in Scotland. If it did, then Broad Crag and Ill Crag, with 58m and 49m of re-ascent respectively, would almost certainly be classed as Tops, hence presumably their omission from that list. 

Dave Hewitt 22 May 2024
In reply to Mark Bull:

> Inconsistently, the list of Furth Munros does not distinguish between Munros and Munro Tops, as is the case for the main list in Scotland. If it did, then Broad Crag and Ill Crag, with 58m and 49m of re-ascent respectively, would almost certainly be classed as Tops, hence presumably their omission from that list. 

Although main Munros are also technically Tops too - Ben Nevis is a Top, for example. Current total of Tops is (I think) 508: 282 main, 226 subsidiary. So arguably it's the Scottish version of things that's gone awry, and Broad Crag and Ill Crag are proper Furth Munros.

Lankyman 23 May 2024
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> Although main Munros are also technically Tops too - Ben Nevis is a Top, for example. Current total of Tops is (I think) 508: 282 main, 226 subsidiary. So arguably it's the Scottish version of things that's gone awry, and Broad Crag and Ill Crag are proper Furth Munros.

If you're elevating Broad and Ill Crags can we also have Helvellyn Lower Man and Symonds Knott?

Dave Hewitt 23 May 2024
In reply to Lankyman:

> If you're elevating Broad and Ill Crags can we also have Helvellyn Lower Man and Symonds Knott?

In theory yes, but in reality no as they almost certainly wouldn't be Munro Tops as per the modern list were they in Scotland - the separation isn't enough, 18m and 21m drop respectively and not much distance.  I've heard some folk argue that Scafell wouldn't be a main Munro in Scotland either, but that always feels a bit mean-spirited, and if it was on Skye it surely would be given full status. Helvellyn Lower Man is a "ghost" 215th Wainwright, however - the typography in The Eastern Fells suggests AW initially planned to include it, then changed his mind.

Somewhere in the house I have a copy of Maxwell's original version of the list of Furths - I'll see if I can find that to check what's in it. Had a quick look just now and thought I knew where it was, but annoyingly it wasn't there!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...