Lightweight insulated jackets

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Andypeak 27 Apr 2024

Hi,
I'm after a lightweight insulated jacket, ideally a Montane Prism but due to cost had a look at what Decathlon had to offer. I was looking at the Forclaz MT100 synthetic jacket which looks half decent and seems to fit the bill. One thing that confuses me though is how have Decathlon managed to get 125g per m² of insulation into a jacket that weighs the same as the Prism which only has 40g per m²? Looking around no other manufacturers have managed to get this much insulation into such a lightweight jacket. I am assuming there are some inconsistencies in the way insulation is measured and Decathlon haven't managed to achieve the impossible? Can anyone who has slightly more knowledge of the manufacturing of outdoor gear shed some light for me please

olddirtydoggy 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

The Montane jacket is a synthetic jacket and the Decathlon model is down. These will perform and weigh very differently.

OP Andypeak 27 Apr 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

They do a synthetic version which is what I'm on about 

lithos 27 Apr 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

nope the decathlon the OP is referring to is synthetic, of course they make one called MT100 in down as well !

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-synthetic-mountain-trekking-hooded-padd...

but i cant see a weight.    to answer the OP, i doubt its the same overall weight but if it were, it surely would have to be , features, materials and cut , ie extra pockets, fat zips, larger sizes , heavier outer/inner.

OP Andypeak 27 Apr 2024
In reply to lithos:

The new webpage doesn't show the weight but the old site said it was 370g in a large

Run_Ross_Run 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

How much do you want to spend? Can get Prisms pretty cheap these days 2nd hand.

OP Andypeak 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Well I just found a second hand decathlon jacket on vinted for just over £10, for that price I figured it was worth a punt. 

Dave Todd 27 Apr 2024
In reply to Andypeak:

Hi Andy

I've been using one of these (MT100 Synthetic) for a few years now and it's great!  Cheap (think I paid <£30 during a sale), light and much warmer than you'd expect from trying it on in the shop!  Seems to punch well above its weight!

I use it for everything, from (summer) mountain marathons to pulling on at the end of a run (as I did today after finishing an orienteering event on The Chevin!)  I bought my daughter one for her first MM last year (Saunders) and she wears it everywhere.  Packs down small as well.  Heartily recommended!

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...