COMPETITION: Win a set of Gregory Alpaca Gear Organisers

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.

Gregory are offering the chance to win a 45L Gear Box, 30L Tote and 70L Gear Basket. You can organise everything from your kit room at home, your car and at camp. 

Read more

olddirtydoggy 04 May 2024
In reply to UKC/UKH Articles:

This is a thing?

Karl Bromelow 04 May 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Gotta find more things we can comfortably do without to top up the nurdles on the beaches. 

GDes 08 May 2024

I pretty much always enter these competitions, just because why not.  This is the first time I haven't because it looks like such a bad product.  How is not just a plastic box?

tehmarks 08 May 2024
In reply to GDes:

> How is not just a plastic box?

Because if it were just a plastic box/basket, one wouldn't be able to charge £50/70 for it?

Harry Jarvis 08 May 2024
In reply to GDes:

> I pretty much always enter these competitions, just because why not.  This is the first time I haven't because it looks like such a bad product.  How is not just a plastic box?

It's not so much that it's just a plastic box, but it is a massively over-priced plastic box. I have just looked at the B&Q website, and there are multiple options, all considerably cheaper.  

compost 08 May 2024
In reply to GDes:

Funny - I looked at it and thought 'that basket looks great' :-D 

My garage is organised but I'm forever faffing about with bags-for-life to chuck kit in the car. Granted a big rubber bucket would do a similar job but it got me thinking.

PaulJepson 08 May 2024
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

In a consumer world where the middle classes have to have every potential new fangled fad item for any given activity, yes. Garages full of stuff that gets a run out once in a blue moon. 

You see it on social media with peg-boards and fancy storage systems where everyone's brand new and unused climbing kit is on individual hooks like it may as well be a climbing shop. 

If it isn't all battered and clipped to one sling and left in your climbing bag or chucked in a bucket, you're just a poser! 

Luke90 08 May 2024

The negative reactions to these were pretty predictable. And I certainly turned up my nose at them a bit as well. They do seem overpriced and there are certainly much cheaper options available that would do a similar job. A portion of the price must be down to them aiming at a fashionable rugged outdoorsy vibe and a premium feel. But on the flipside, how many of the cheap alternatives are built as sturdily as these hopefully are, with recycled materials and a meaningful warranty? No doubt those are significant contributions to the prices as well, and something we should be supporting on environmental grounds.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...